Two day hands-on workshop 'Fine Art Portrait' with Michael Schnabl
Wednesday, October 25th + Thursday, October 26th
Fine Art Portraits are more than just a pretty picture of a good looking model. There's planning and concept involved. Over the course of this intensive but fun two day workshop, you will create two Fine Art Portraits: one 'Dark Beauty' look and one 'Flower Girl' portrait. Award winning Austrian portrait photographer Michael Schnabl (www.michaelschnabl.com) will guide you through all the steps, from concept over the actual shooting and the postproduction, all the way to the final images.
Things you will learn in this workshop:
- Adding backgrounds and textures
- Beauty retouching & Frequency Separation for clean but natural looking skin
- Techniques for cutting out the model from the grey background
- Layer masking techniques and adding backgrounds
- Styling backgrounds
- The use of blending modes, clipping paths
- Creative tinting and toning in Lightroom and Photoshop and Alien Skin Exposure
- Where to find ideas and inspiration
- Concept and preparation
- Simple requisites that won't break the bank
- Choosing the right model
- Posing the model to fit the concept
- Saving time by photographing with postproduction in mind
- As you can see, you will really learn a lot during this intensive workshop! Most of the techniques and ideas are also applicable to your own style of photography.
What's included in this workshop:
- A set of Michael Schnabl's Photoshop Actions & Textures worth over $100
- A set of Piet Van den Eynde's Lightroom presets worth $20
- Course handouts
- Coffee, tea, water and sodas.
- Although we recommend you bring your own camera, participants who are interested, will get the chance to shoot with the Fujifilm GFX Medium Format camera and lenses. Fujifilm Ambassador Ioannis Tsouloulis will be present to answer all your questions.
- 2 professional models, including image rights for personal (non-commercial) use and use in your portfolio
- 1 professional makeup artist
- 2 days of tutoring (in English) by award-winning Fine Art Photographer Michael Schnabl
- Assistance by me (especially on the second day about postproduction)
- Use of studio equipment
What to bring to the workshop:
- You should be familiar with your camera and know how to operate it
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera with a flash hotshoe (flash triggers will be provided by us)
- A laptop or computer of your own with Photoshop CC and Adobe Bridge or preferably Adobe Lightroom installed
- A solid knowledge of Photoshop if you want to actively follow along during the second day of workshop. If you prefer, you can also passively watch during the second day. If you want to bring your Photoshop skills up to speed, I recommend watching my Photoshop voor fotografen class (in Dutch) on Photofacts Academy (you can watch all courses 15 days for free) or my Photoshop for Photographers course on Craft & Vision (in English).
- Although it is not essential, a Wacom tablet is highly recommended. If you have one, make sure to bring it along, if you don't have one and want to try one, let us know when you're booking.
Practicalities, Price and Location:
- This workshop is held over the course of two days: Wednesday, October 25th and Thursday, October 26th in 'De Punt' in Gentbrugge near Ghent (Flanders, Belgium).
- The workshop will be held in English. However, I will be there to assist you in Dutch if necessary!
- The number of participants is limited to 10.
- The price of this unique, two-day workshop is 499 € including VAT for both days. It is not possible to book only one day. However, you are of course allowed to let someone else (e.g. an assistant or employee) follow the course on the second day, instead of yourself.
To secure your spot, click on the Add To Cart button below and follow the procedure. Payment by Credit Card is preferred. An invoice will be provided upon request. If you like to pay by bank transfer, contact us and we'll provide you with our bank details.
The first edition of the workshop has sold out in five hours. We have added a second edition, which will be held on Wednesday, October 25th (from 15.00 to approximately 20.30) and Thursday, October 26th (from 10.00 to approximately 18.00). To book your spot, choose 25 - 26 October in the Date section below before adding the workshop to your shopping cart.
Why are we offering this unique workshop opportunity in Belgium and why should you attend this workshop?
Although (or maybe because) they are totally different from what I generally photograph, I have been a fan of Michael Schnabl's Fine Art Portraits for quite a while. When an opportunity to take one of his workshops arose, I did not hesitate for a moment, even though it meant traveling to Germany and follow the workshop... in German... (Fear not: the workshop in Belgium will be given in English!) I found the workshop to be so interesting, that I wanted to invite Michael over to Belgium to give Belgian, Dutch and English photographers a chance to learn from this wonderful photographer and teacher.
Below are the two images I made myself during this workshop. They are the actual finished product at the end of the second day. I did not do any extra work on them. I like to think I know a thing or two about flash photography and Photoshop, but I still learned loads of new things. The techniques you will learn will help you make stronger images, regardless of your habitual style of photography. You'll learn how to make the most out of one light source, how to pose your model and how to further enhance the image through Photoshop.
Terms and Conditions:
By booking this workshop, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Cancellation earlier than 6 weeks before the workshop date: you will receive a full refund, minus a € 25 cancellation fee.
- Cancellation between 6 and 4 weeks before the workshop date: you can give your spot to another person, or receive a refund minus a 25 percent cancellation fee.
- Cancellation between 4 and 2 weeks before the workshop: you can give your spot to another person, or receive a refund minus a 50 percent cancellaton fee.
- Cancellation less than 2 weeks before the workshop: you can give your spot to another person. No refunds will be given for cancellations less than 2 weeks before the workshop date.
- The images you make during the workshop can be used for personal and portfolio use only. They cannot be used for commercial purposes (for example, but not limited to: sold on stock photography websites, sold as fine art prints, ...)
- MoreThanwords/Piet Van den Eynde reserves the right to cancel the workshop in case of insufficient participants or when the workshop leader (Michael Schnabl) is unable to attend the workshop because of illness, accident or delay. In case of such a cancellation, participants will receive a full refund of the workshop price they paid. The refund is limited to the price the attendant paid to participate at the workshop and does not include any extra costs the participant may have incurred (such as, but not limited to: travel and hotel expenses).