'Fine Art Portrait' Start to Finish Evening Course with Michael Schnabl
Tuesday, October 24th, 7 PM - 10 PM | Gent
Over the course of this action-packed three hour evening live shoot and postprocessing demo, Award-winning Austrian portrait photographer Michael Schnabl (www.michaelschnabl.com) will show you how he creates his signature look fine art portraits. Michael will teach you all the steps, from concept over the actual live shoot and the postproduction, all the way to the final images. One of the techniques Michael uses is that he shoots his models in front of a neutral grey backdrop and then composites them into a background of his own choice. This gives him much more flexibility.
Things you will learn during this evening course:
- Where to find ideas and inspiration
- Concept and preparation
- Simple props that won't break the bank
- Choosing the right model
- Posing the model to fit the concept
- Making the most of one light source
- Saving time by photographing with postproduction in mind
- Adding backgrounds and textures
- Beauty retouching & Frequency Separation for clean but natural looking skin
- Techniques for cutting out the model from the grey background
- Layer masking techniques and adding backgrounds
- Styling backgrounds
- The use of blending modes, clipping paths
- Creative tinting and toning in Lightroom and Photoshop and Alien Skin Exposure
Practicalities, Price and Location:
- This evening lecture with live shoot is held on Tuesday, October 24th in 'De Punt', Kerkstraat 108, 9050 Gentbrugge near Ghent (Flanders, Belgium).
- There is ample free or cheap parking available.
- The evening will be held in English. Michael will be using the English version of Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Coffee, tea and water are included.
- There are two types of tickets available: a Standard Edition ticket includes access to the lecture. A Deluxe Edition ticket not only gives access to the lecture but also includes a set of Michael's Fine Art Textures, his new Black & White Fine Art Presets for Lightroom and my own, not yet released Lightroom preset pack. These bonuses have a €70 value.
Payment is by Credit Card (secured transaction). To book your spot, click on the Add To Cart button for the ticket of your choice (Standard or Deluxe). A shopping cart icon will appear in the top right of the page. Click on that and follow the procedure. An invoice will be provided upon request. Although we encourage you to pay by credit card, if you prefer to pay by bank transfer, contact us and we'll provide you with our bank details.
Should I bring a camera or laptop?
- This is a lecture/course, it's not a workshop. As such, you don't have to bring your camera. You may want to bring a laptop or tablet to take notes. However, please note that the meeting room will have chairs only and you won't be able to charge your laptop battery. Alternatively, bring a good old-fashioned notebook and pen!
- During the second part of his lecture, Michael will walk you through his postproduction in Lightroom, Photoshop and Alien Skin Exposure. If you want to bring your Photoshop skills up to speed to get the maximum out of the course, I recommend watching my Photoshop voor fotografen class (in Dutch) on Photofacts Academy (you can watch all courses 15 days for free) or my Photoshop for Photographers course on Craft & Vision (in English).
Why should I attend this course?
- This is a unique opportunity to learn from one of Europe's best people and fine art photographers. Michael will show you his entire workflow from A to Z. Not only will you learn valuable lighting and posing tips, but you'll also learn some interesting Photoshop techniques as well. The things you'll learn during this course can be adapted and applied to other genres of photography, such as wedding, children's portraiture and so on.
Terms and Conditions:
- Tickets are non-refundable. If you cannot make it to the event, you can always choose to let someone else take your place. Please inform us of the name of the new participant.
- MoreThanwords/Piet Van den Eynde reserves the right to cancel the course in case of insufficient participants or when the course leader (Michael Schnabl) is unable to attend the course because of illness, accident or delay. In case of such a cancellation, participants will receive a full refund of the course price they paid. The refund is limited to the price the attendant paid to participate at the course and does not include any extra costs the participant may have incurred (such as, but not limited to: travel and hotel expenses).